The Kawerak Direct Employment (DE) Program provides a one-time grant to eligible tribal members who reside in the Bering Strait-Norton Sound region. Direct Employment grants assist tribal members with employment related needs and start-up living expenses in order to retain full-time employment.
- Must be Alaska Native or American Indian and a member of a federally recognized tribe.
- Must reside in the Bering Strait-Norton Sound region (minimum of one  year).
- Gambell and Nome Eskimo Community tribal members must apply to their local IRA Council.
- Must have a regular full-time job, 3 months or longer @ 40 hours a week.
- Have not received Direct Employment Assistance before.
- Must show financial need.
- Must apply for assistance before the 1st paycheck is received.
- Verification of tribal Enrollment (see your local IRA)
- Copy of your state birth certificate.
- Letter of Intent/Request, stating why financial assistance is needed and the amount of your need. (Outline your needs and specific amounts)
- Employment Verification
- Landlord Verification
*Additional required documents, if family members are included in your request
- Copy of marriage certificate
- Copy of your dependent(s) birth certificate(s)
- Verification of tribal membership-for spouse and dependents.