Kawerak is excited to host a pilot project…a weekly ARTISAN MARKET! The market will be hosted on Fridays in Nome’s Anvil City Square and feature local and regional artists handicrafts and food sales. To participate in the event and sell your work, a Registration Form (see below) is due no later than June 22. There is no fee to register.
Our main goal of these markets is to increase sales for our regional Alaska Native artists. To meet this goal, Kawerak will provide travel OR lodging for 2 nights for registered Bering Strait Region tribal members each Friday Market as funds are available. Artisans will be chosen by lottery drawing in the case of a high volume of requests to sell on a particular date.
- Dates: Every Friday June 29-August 17 (June 29, July 6, July 13, July 20, July 27, August 3, August 10, August 17 )
- Registered vendors will be notified by June 27 of their requested Market dates that were approved, based on allowable space.
- Vendor space will be allocated first to our Alaska Native artists, followed by a variety of other vendors until our allotted space is maximized.
- Registered regional artists may be provided airfare OR lodging for two nights as funds are available. Regional artisans will be chosen by lottery drawing if multiple registrations are received requesting the same Market dates. Artists should have a good inventory available for sale.
- A three day notice is required if you cannot participate on a date your registration was approved so that another vendor can be selected. Failure to call 443-4271 within that time period will deem you ineligible to travel for future Markets.
- Food vendors are welcome to submit a registration form for approval. Kawerak will follow the State of Alaska Cottage Food exemptions (non-potentially hazardous) that do not require a permit, as well as non-exempt items (potentially hazardous) that will require a permit. Food vendors will be sent additional information as they register.
- City of Nome Transient Merchants Sales Tax License Applications will be available at the Markets. Kawerak is not responsible for collecting or monitoring these applications.
- Kawerak has a limited amount of tents, tables and chairs. Those vendors with a table are encouraged to bring their own. Tables must be manned at all times.
- Old St. Joe’s will not be open. Hanson’s does have a public restroom available. No electricity will be provided.
- Kawerak will require each participating vendor to fill out an anonymous evaluation that among other questions will ask your daily sales amount and if any ivory carvings were sold. This information is relative to evaluating the Markets overall success and for Kawerak to track what effects the recent ivory bans may be having.
- Walk-in vendors will not be accepted to set up in this reserved area unless all pre-registered vendor requests were able to be approved and there is space available.
- Weather cancellations are possible and will be posted by 9:30am on the day of the event.
QUESTIONS? Contact Barb Nickels at 443-4271 or BNickels@kawerak.org or PO Box 948, Nome, AK 99762.