During May, seabirds, primarily murres, have been washing up on beaches at Saint Lawrence Island, Shishmaref, and Eastern Norton Sound. Some of these seabirds have been reported “struggling to stay upright in the water”. Only one murre was collected in May and analyzed. That murre died of starvation. No other disease was detected.
We need your help in reporting and collecting any dead seabirds to better understand what is happening.
DON’T WAIT: PLEASE REPORT DEAD BIRDS
If you find dead birds, please contact:
- Gay Sheffield: 434-1149 (UAF-Alaska Sea Grant, Nome)
- Brandon Ahmasuk: 443-4265 (Kawerak, Nome)
- USFWS “Dead Seabird Hotline”: (866) 527-3358 (USFWS, Anchorage)
- Do not eat birds that have died from unknown causes.
- Wear rubber gloves when picking up dead birds.
- Wash your hands in warm soapy water to prevent infection through cuts in
your skin or from touching your mouth.
- Wash or throw away your gloves after use.
HOW YOU CAN HELP
- Take photos using your cell phone and call in what you see!
- Please report date, location, species, number of birds